The In and Out of Range notifications alert you when you are about to lose/forget something (out of range notification) or when you came close enough to your lost object to reconnect to it with your phone (in-range notification).
When enabled, these notifications will trigger a small phone alert to let you know you’ve lost or regained the connection with your Chipolo, so that you can go back and take your missing wallet or keys with you.
Each notification can be activated separately, so if you only want to know when you leave something behind, you can enable only those notifications.
Because the connection is Bluetooth based, the exact range cannot be set (this can only be done with GPS trackers), and the alert will be triggered anywhere between 100 to 200 feet (30 to 60 meters), depending on your surroundings.
The Range notifications are a Beta feature in the Chipolo app that is not enabled by default. Follow the below steps to enable these notifications.
- Go to the Chipolo application on your mobile phone;
- Go to detail view of the Chipolo and select settings (3 little dots);
This chipolo was named 'Car keys', your Chipolo might have a different name.
- Select 'Customize ...';
- Tap multiple times rapidly on the Serial at the bottom of the screen;
- A message will pop-up with 'Advanced and beta Chipolo features';
- Now scroll down and you are able to toggle on 'in-range' or 'out-of-range'.
1. Go to the Chipolo application on your mobile phone.
2. Go to detail view of the Chipolo and select settings (3 little dots).
*This chipolo was named 'Office Keys', your Chipolo might have a different name.
3. Select 'Customize <Chipolo name>'.
4. Shake the phone firmly up and down (this triggers the Chipolo Labs menu).
5. Now scroll down and tap on 'Chipolo Labs'.
6. You are able to toggle on 'in-range' or 'out-of-range' in this view.